Professor Pilate Moyo
Dr Moyo’s research is on structural health monitoring and condition assessment of civil infrastructure. His work recognises that infrastructure management and renewal requires in depth understanding of the structural system of interest, material deterioration mechanisms and the loading environment. Thus his research is focused on developing a holistic approach for performance assessment structures by integrating modelling, experimentation and computation. Modelling and computation are underpinned by advanced finite element packages. Experimentation involves vibration based structural system identification, loading characterisation, experimental stress analysis, and material testing. Experimental work is supported by state of the art equipment and software for field testing and a well equipped laboratory.
Dr Moyo’s current teaching portfolio includes:
- Mechanics of materials (CIV2011F) : Second year
- Experimental methods & Statistics (CIV2037F): Second year
- Structural dynamics (in CIV5086Z): Postgraduate
- Structural performance assessment (CIV5055Z): Postgraduate
- P. Moyo, J.M.W. Brownjohn, R. Suresh, S. C. Tjin, “Development of fiber Bragg grating sensors for monitoring civil infrastructure, Engineering Structures, Vol. 27, No. 12, pp 1828-1834, 2005, ISSN: 0141-0296
- P.Moyo, JMW Brownjohn, P. Omenzetter, Highway Bridge Live Loading Assessment and Load carrying capacity Estimation Using a Health Monitoring System. Structural Engineering and Mechanics, An International Journal, Vol 18, No. 5, 2004, pp 609-626 (ISSN 1225-4568)
- JMW Brownjohn, P. Fok, M. Roche, P. Moyo, Long span steel pedestrian bridge at Singapore Changi Airport. Part 1: Prediction of vibration serviceability problems. The Structural Engineer, 2004, 86/16 pp 21-27 (ISSN 1466-5123)
- P. Moyo, J.M. W. Brownjohn “Application Of Box-Jenkins Models For Assessing The Impact Of Unusual Events Recorded By Structural Health Monitoring Systems”, Structural Health Monitoring, An International Journal. Vol. 1, No. 2, pp 149-160, 2002
- P. Moyo, JMW Brownjohn, “Detection of anomalous structural behaviour using wavelet analysis”. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol 16, No. 2/3, pp 429-445, 2002.
- P. Moyo & MG Alexander, “Condition assessment of bridges in South Africa: Challenges and opportunities”, ICCRRR, South Africa, Nov 2005
- P. Moyo, “A framework for condition assessment of concrete highway bridges, Joint C&CI, IDEA and CSSA conference, Developing Concrete To Serve Practical Needs, Midrand, South Africa, October 2004, pp 48-62. (ISBN 1 920 01717 8)
- Moyo P, Brownjohn JMW, Omenzetter P, ‘Bridge live load assessment and load carrying capacity estimation using health monitoring system and dynamic testing. 3rd International conference on current and future Trends in Bridge Design, construction and Maintenance. Shanghai, China, 28 Sep. 1 October 2003
- P. Moyo and J.M.W. Brownjohn, “Assessment of the Effect of Unusual Events Recorded by Long-Term Structural Health Monitoring Systems Using Box Jenkins Models and Wavelet Analysis”, 2nd International Conference on Advances in Structural Engineering Mechanics, Pusan, South Korea, August 2002.
- P. Moyo, J.M.W. Brownjohn “Bridge Health Monitoring using Wavelet Analysis”, Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Experimental Mechanics, Apollo Hotel, Singapore, 29 Nov. to 1 Dec. 2000, 546-551.